Ireland

Ireland

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

I woke up today to find our boat has moved from the dock where we were loading the barge (with a good internet signal ), to an anchorage out in the Gulf of Mexico. The problem being, I can't upload photos of a wedding we crashed while on our trip to California, (weak internet signal), and our company dispatchers have no regard for my blog. Go figure.
Wedding photos and the story that goes with it will be posted when our company dispatchers relocate us to a place with a more favorable signal.

I made the mistake of checking out the news this morning. Before that I was in a good mood.
Would you agree this great country of ours is still in somewhat of a economic crisis? Or is that all over and I didn't get the memo?
Why are we holding fundraisers  for rich people? Why are we raising millions of dollars for people who already have millions of dollars?
There are a hundred out of work homeless folks within spitting distance of the White House.
Our politicians, on both sides of the isle, throw millions around with the ease of a funnel cake maker at the State fair. What's with that?

How did the political arena turn from a discussion of ideas to a horse race for the rich? Is it just me or is anyone else sickened  by the millions and millions of dollars that trade hands in this poker game called politics.

Recently, George Clooney helped raise 15 million ( there's that "million" word again ) for President Obama.
What in the hell is George Clooney doing sticking his nose in politics? If I want some advice on method acting, I'll ask George, but I really don't care about George's ideas of reducing our debt.
Good actor? Yes. Nice hair? Absolutely. But seriously George, why don't you go for a drive on Mullholand drive and leave the country's problems to those who deal with them on a daily basis.

How about this for an idea. How about we come up with a plan to vote for a candidate because of his political views and not because he has the best P.R. man or the best fundraising team.

On an unrelated subject;
The first person ever to rip open a clam shell and eat the rubbery substance inside.
WHAT WAS HE THINKING?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched Obama on a talk show today. He said that politics will change soon... as much as I like the guy, I was sitting there thinking, "ya..right".

beth said...

i agree...
i agree...
i agree...
wait....did i mention i agree ??

did i hear the plates for that fundraiser were 40,000 each ?

dcpeg said...

On the clams, I'm totally with you!

As for raising all those campaign funds, it's pretty well spread around to advertising agencies, TV/radio stations, lawyers and more who already have plenty of dough. Campaign staffers who work their butts off make very little.

I just wish there were other ways to get candidates opinions, plans, and ideas out to us without costing so much. So much more good could be done with all those funds raised by everyone and his cousin for candidates, many of whom will not win anyway.

Donna said...

You are SOOO right...
I try not to view the 'news' as anything other than material for late night show comedians. If I thought it seriously reflected the reality I see - or have to live in - I'd be very depressed!
ps - you're right on target re the economy too... still a world of hurt out there - and I don't see it getting better anytime soon, no matter what hype they tell us.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

LOL.. he wasn't.

Clearly.

Joey said...

He was thinking - I wish I had some hot sauce and mulligans for this rubbery piece of ick!!! LOVE clams on the half!

Formerly known as Frau said...

totally agree!!

Anonymous said...

Re: George Clooney..... more than actor....Wikipedia
Clooney is also noted for his political activism, and has served as one of the United Nations Messengers of Peace since January 31, 2008.
Clooney's humanitarian work includes his advocacy of finding a resolution for the Darfur conflict, raising funds for the 2010 Haiti earthquake, 2004 Tsunami, and 9/11 victims, and creating documentaries such as Sand and Sorrow to raise awareness about international crises. He is also a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Anonymous said...

I wonder... is there some way we can get all the candidates and incumbents in all elections to read your thoughts on campaign finance. I'm in... if you can think of a way.

Scullynne said...

Nice article as always..people who eat the rubbery part of the clam isn't thinking...as for Politics, I love it, but Politics and Politicians, drive me nuts!

Marilyn Miller said...

So very true! And that last question, now I am wondering too - hummmm?