Ireland

Ireland

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

The sunset today as we anchored
off Galveston, TX
was a nice surprise with that ship positioned just so.

I was busy this evening.
I had to make a cake.
Well, I didn't actually make the cake.
My wife makes cakes.
I took the powder from a Betty Crocker box
added water, eggs and oil and mixed it until I got bored doing so.

One of our crew,
a member of our dysfunctional family
here on the tug will be leaving us tomorrow.

That's good and bad.
Good, because Mike is getting a promotion of sorts
so he'll be sailing with another dysfunctional family for the time being
on another boat.

Bad because, Mike is the guy who cooks the most on here.
I've been on this boat a little over 3 years
and Mike was here when I walked on board.

At times you want to strangle him
but mostly he has been nothing but a big help to me,
and a nicer guy would be hard to find.

So I thought I'd make him a farewell cake.


The message is short and to the point.
I would have written "Good Luck Mike" on the cake
but I didn't have enough M&M's on board,
so I went to plan B.
Goldfish.

It came out moist and delicious
just like Betty says it will.

I wouldn't recommend the Goldfish.

12 comments:

Wayne said...

That's a beautiful sunset.

It was nice of you to make a cake and I think the goldfish are a nice touch. I think it would be a nice surprise to have a little crunch in your cake!

Thanks for visiting and your nice comments!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Um.. yeah..I bet the cheddar inflection was interesting... But the cake adorable!

Sueann said...

That sunset is fabulous...good shot
Congrats on a finished cake
Hugs
SUeAnn

Dagmar said...

Uhh I thought the fish hit a homerun (couse you guys are on a BOAT)....guess I'm the only one. Flavourwise....they swim even better with gallions of coffee. ;0
But it's the work, effort and love you put in that cake my friend that says it all.

Oh and that sunset...seems wonderful and nice.
Happy times buddy.
Hugs Dagmar

Janney said...

It's always funny to see you guys bake cakes for each other! Hee hee!

imquilternity said...

Hilarious! LOVE the goldfish and somehow they seem just a bit appropriate!

Jerral Miles said...

That sunset is absolutely amazing... wonderful... Many thanks for this photograph and others.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow that picture is amazing! Congrats to Mike bummer for you and the other guys! I hope you don't go too hungry....well at least we know you can make cake! Have a wonderful day!

Melinda Owens said...

That sunset takes my breath away...its stunning. I've said it before but you must have the best job ever. Love the cake, too...salty and sweet!

Marilyn Miller said...

But Goldfish are such a clever idea. Love salt with chocolate. Nice decorations! Good job!

Sandy said...

Fantastic pic. That cake looked awful good. What is the name of your tug? Did you ever dock in Galveston or just sit outside the ship channel?

bon bon said...

ingenious.