Ireland

Ireland

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Could have been me

I’m reading a book called “Counselor”, written by Ted Sorensen. Ted was President Kennedy’s speech writer. He got the Kennedy gig when President Kennedy was Senator Kennedy. That was in the early 50’s. Ted was in his late 20’s. That’s right, late 20’s.
Just a few years removed from getting turned away at the local bar for being under age, Ted was advising, then writing speeches for a man who would become, in just a few years the youngest President ever to sit in the Oval office.
When I was in my late 20’s I was working as an oiler on an Oil tanker. Ted was giving the future President some political advice, which was followed.
When I was 33, I was working as an engineer on a tug boat. When Bobby Kennedy was 33 he was JFK’s National campaign manager.
Ken O’Donnell had President Kennedy’s ear during the Cuban Missile Crisis. While nuclear missiles sat poised and ready just 90 miles from Florida, Ken was JFK’s trusted advisor at age 36. I couldn’t be trusted to by bathroom towels by myself at that age.
I’m 53 now and still on a tugboat.
Excuse me while I suffer through a moment of inadequacy.

No comments: