Ireland

Ireland

Thursday, June 4, 2009

Washington's Crossing


The photo with this post is taken from the stern of the tug as we navigated the Delaware River, south of Philadelphia, heading for sea.
Do you remember the famous painting of “Washington Crossing the Delaware”?
Looking at it I always pictured that treacherous crossing taking place in a spot similar to where our boat was in my photo. Can you picture it? A wide expanse of water between Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Looking across the river you can barely make out the land formations on the other side, because of the great distance between shorelines.
I’ve pictured the soldiers of the Continental Army shoving off from the Pennsylvania shore line and looking out at a vast emptiness before them as they paddled their flat bottom boats toward an unseen coast.
Well, let me set the record straight. A few years ago my wife and I visited New Hope, Pennsylvania, the site of that famous crossing. I walked to the water’s edge and looked out toward New Jersey, trying to place myself back in time to that Historic night.
My first thought as I looked across the river was, “This is a freaking small river!”
Honestly, I could have thrown a rock and almost hit the other side. It looked more like a big creek than a river. General G.W. could have waded across and saved all that time they spent making flat bottomed boats.
Not to take anything away from Old George, but I think the story may have become a bit exaggerated over time, like any good sea story. Maybe he was afraid of water and didn’t want to doggy-paddle across. That wouldn’t have been too “General” like.
Standing up in a boat (who does that?) looks much better for the painting, then a panting, doggy-paddler with his head just above the water, trying to keep his funny looking hat dry.
“Washington Paddling the creek” just doesn’t have the same ring to it as “Washington Crossing the Delaware”.
Anyway, he made it across that night in 1776.
It did wonders for his political aspirations.

2 comments:

dcpeg said...

Speaking of throwing a rock across the Delaware -- remember that good ole GW was supposed to have tossed a silver dollar across that very same river.

As for not wanting to doggy-paddle his way across, I don't think you would want to either in DECEMBER! It's all about timing, Sir.

dcpeg said...

Please give us somethin' new to look at. Your photo reminds me of the Three Mile Island debacle.