Ireland

Ireland

Monday, November 15, 2010

The dynamic of living and sharing space on a boat with 6 other guys for 3 weeks never ceases to amaze me.
I've mentioned before how great these guys are, all very nice and everyone gets along.
It's probably similar to 6 college kids, all friends, living together in a dorm. (The only difference is we can't leave the room to go to class.)
Even though the college kids are friends, they find out quickly that each person has their own little quirks.

It's no different on here.Each crew member has their little idiosyncrasies, and we are all familiar with them. It's the little things that crack me up.

Mike, our 50 something year old deckhand likes to think the galley and everything in it is his baby. Mike does a lot of our grocery shopping.
We're not really sure why Mike has such an interest in canned goods, pots and pans and cooking oil. It's not like he is scheduled to be on "Top Chef" anytime soon. The only thing he ever cooks is french fries, corn dogs and meatball sandwiches. His menu would be disallowed in most school systems.

When Mike chastises someone because they put the opened potato chip bag in the unopened bag section of the shelf, we just smile and promise him it will never happen again. But it will.

Mike bought a new set of teflon pans a few months ago and gave each of us a speech on the proper handling and care of these pans. When we get off the boat to go home, Mike lovingly packs up his teflon pans and puts them in his room, in his locker, which is locked.
We just laugh, because last I checked, french fries, corn dogs and meatball sandwiches are not cooked in smooth teflon pans. HE DOESN'T EVEN USE THEM.

If you want to really rile old Mike up, just try putting one of those pans in the dishwasher.
A big no no.
I'm sorry, I just can't help it.

Today when I woke up, I stumbled down to the coffee pot and filled my cup with steaming goodness. Upon turning around I almost ran right into Mike who was standing just inches from me. Keep in mind I'm still half asleep when Mike asks me, "Did you eat the sub rolls?"
I answer, "What?"

Mike: "Did you eat the sub rolls?"
Me: "Uh, I had one about 2 days ago."

Mike: "I bought nine of them," he said. "I was gonna use them for meatball sandwiches."
I just stood there and sipped my coffee.

Behind Mike I noticed Captain Jack, who overheard this exchange, with his eyes sarcastically opened wide, as if he was saying, oooh, your in trouble!

Mike: "There is only 2 left." He held the bag out so I could see for myself.
I didn't know what to say so,
Me: "Sorry. I had one 2 days ago."

I had a momentary flashback of me in my High School disciplinarian's office.
I was already picturing those pristine teflon pans laying in the dishwasher, getting pummeled with high pressure water jets and soap.

When Mike left, Jack and I giggled.....
not unlike college kids in a dorm.

6 comments:

Melinda Owens said...

I love your blog, all of it, but most of all, I love the day to day glimpses into the life of a merchant seaman. You write about your fellow crew with such clarity and detail, and compassion. You really see each and every one of them...such a great writer. I feel like I know these guys.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

and for GOD'S SAKE don't use metal utensils on those teflon pans either.. it ruins the finish!

I should know. I've been scolded a hundred times.

Sueann said...

How could they eat all the sub rolls? Ha! Too funny!
I guess it would be interesting with six guys sharing space like that. Glad you all get along!
Hugs
SueAnn

beth said...

frat boys and brothers you are....thanks for the laugh....it was perfect timing !

Formerly known as Frau said...

Too funny! How could you!

Jerral Miles said...

But my college Roommate's name was Gary... Are you sure your guy isn't Gary? Check his passport. Are you anywhere near the border. Homeland Security could tell you if his name is really Gary and not Mike. Be careful.