Ireland

Ireland

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Day on a tug

When I woke up on Christmas morning I found my book, glasses and alarm clock on the deck in the corner by the door. It was as if they were fighting to get out.
At that moment I figured this Christmas wasn't going to go as planned.

Plan A was for our tug and barge to be nestled safely in a protected anchorage soon after daylight. The Chief Mate Don, had the menu all planned out and he had every intention of preparing a soup to nuts Christmas meal for the crew.

But, Mother Nature had other plans. As I was snug in my bed with visions of sugarplums dancing in my head, dear old mom sent 55 MPH gusts of wind our way that lasted about 24 hours.



I wondered what effect that had on Rudolph and the gang?


So Christmas was spent doing circles in the Gulf of Mexico, with no cell service, waiting for the weather to improve so we could safely navigate the channel to the anchorage.
It also meant that the Christmas meal was canceled.



The poor turkey looks disappointed, doesn't he?
It's hard to cook a turkey when the pan keeps sliding back and forth in the oven.

But we found ourselves in that safe harbor the next day and celebrated our Christmas a day late.
We had cell service and called our families.
The meal was great, and I got a shirt from Santa (Captain)
Not a bad day.

5 comments:

Jerral Miles said...

The swells look real. Maybe it's a good thing the crew didn't have turkey for Christmas dinner... Would be a shame to waste it. But I imagine you and the others on the boat aren't "upset" by a rowdy sea.

Happy New Year!
Jerral

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

UGH!!.. my stomach would have been lurching with every one of those swells. I'm getting sea sick just thinking about it.

However, I love seeing a glimpse of this sea life of yours, thank you for sharing it -

And I have to imagine your family becomes frantic when they don't receive a phone call from you especially on Christmas Day - or do they know already that you sometimes don't have service? ..

Merry Christmas and a Happy, Healthy New Year, Mark!

Dagmar said...

Gosh Mark thanks for having my laughing all over the place about the reindeers...yeahoooo my friend.
Hope the weather settles before it's New years eve. And you can all have a ball....or will you be home by then.

Hugs and thanks for your wonderful visits over and over again.
See you in the wonderful next year.
Have a happy one my friend.
Dagmar

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sorry your Christmas was delayed and you spent the day holding on for dear life! I'm feeling a little sea sick after reading your post!

dcpeg said...

Somehow I can't see headwinds helping flying reindeer. ;-\

Looks like sea sickness would have been enough to turn anyone off from a big turkey dinner, even if it had survived swaying in an oven! Glad you all eventually got to safety and enjoyed your postponed holiday!