Ireland

Ireland

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I'm a big fan!

Tonight was the first game of the 2009 World Series between the often hated New York Yankees and MY Philadelphia Phillies, and I was glued to the set. Well, not really the set, I was watching it on my computer on the boat. Well, I wasn't really WATCHING it, I was more or less READING the game.
On a Phillies web site you have the option of following the game via text updates. They actually have a PICTURE of a baseball diamond, with bases and all. If you look at the diamond closely, every minute or so you can see a little white dot moving from the pitchers mound toward home plate. This represents the pitcher, pitching the ball.
Next to the diamond, text will automatically appear, i.e.
"Ball one"
Now isn't this just like being there?
I was glued to my computer screen, for 9 innings, watching the little white dot travel toward home plate, and then reading, "Utley homers to right"
My friend Don walked by and saw me intently staring at the screen that had a cartoon like picture of a baseball diamond, and asked, "What are you looking at?"
I said, "I'm watching the Phillies game."
He shook his head and moved on.
I called him back to show him the highlighted square box on first base. "See," I said pointing, "Victorino's on first."
He thinks I'm nuts.
The Phils won 6-1.
I can't wait to read tomorrows game

2 comments:

beth said...

so many people were glued to their televisions last night and I wish you could have seen the real thing...BUT at least you had the written cartoon version of it.....

I'm not a fan, but due to so many people having bets on who's going to take the series, it's kind of fun to switch over to that channel every now and then to see what's going on.....

great to hear from you :)

dcpeg said...

You must have one good imagination, Mark! To sit there watching a little white dot on a computer screen . . . is your wife worried about you?