Ireland

Ireland

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Stuff

I was thinking about cacti today.

Yes, it was a slow news day.
 Did you know that the first "arm" of the cactus pictured above took approximately 100 years to form?
I did not research that statement, it was just something someone told me once. I want it to be true so I'm putting absolutely no effort into disproving my own statement.

***

Did you hear that when Facebook recently shut down unexpectedly for a short period of time,
911 operators were flooded with calls, followed my police departments "tweeting", "Don't call 911 because Facebook shut down." 

Is that a sign of the times or what?

***

I"m reading a book called, "Into Thin Air", about a group of people who climbed Mt. Everest, the highest mountain in the world. That baby is over 29,000 ft high. It's as high as airliners fly!! Why would someone want to do that? ( and don't tell me "because it's there." I'm so over that.) Interesting story though, worth the read.

***

My family is gearing up for a trip to Ireland at the end of next month. My wife and I were discussing the possibility of visiting Northern Ireland while we are there. Out of the blue last night I remembered a blogger buddy of mine named Claire, and to make a long story short, she mentioned to me, a few years ago, that her Dad was starting up a tour company that gives walking tours through Belfast. She said to me, if I ever found myself in Northern Ireland, to give her a call and she would hook me up with her dad. 
Sure, like that will ever happen.

So, last night I contacted her and guess what? She's hooking me up with her dad! Are my Blog Friends the best, or what?

***
And this...........

is the last sunset I'll be taking from the Gulf, for another 3 weeks.

I'm flying home United......just saying.

6 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Good luck flying United.
Happy travels to Ireland.
Yes, blogging friends are the
best when it comes to hooking up with some of them or a father who tours.

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

Ireland! And you'll take lots of photos to share :-)

Susie said...

Mark, Ireland is a dream of mine. I am so envious.LOL. That is great that you will get a tour from your blog pal's dad. I loved your photos. Now you have me curious about the cacti. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Wayne said...

A walking tour? Buy more memory cards. Don't all US airlines suck?

Joey said...

Ok - so first of all - on the bucket list to consume fresh raw oysters in Galway. It was on a soap opera 20 years ago and I have never forgotten how I want to do that. But the blogger connection is very cool too!!

2nd - REALLY?? I mean why WOULD you want to climb that?? I have a client who did Kilimanjaro and her description of the HEADACHES? From the altitude? Ummm - no really - I don't need to fear I'm having a stroke, 19,000 feet in the sky, a zillion miles away from civilization. The nearest airplane my only hope?

3rd - very envious of your upcoming trip!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Some people should be banned from social media….and you know the kinds I'm speaking of.
Love that sunset and the news about Ireland is FABULOUS!!! Glad you are getting a nice family vacation.
I think cactus are fascinating; especially the ones that appear to be giving us the finger!