Ireland

Ireland

Friday, April 17, 2015

People watching.....

As I sit at this corner table in a eatery at the New Orleans airport, I'm trying to be invisible as I eat my bowl of red rice and beans.
The food was delicious by the way.

I usually am more receptive to human interaction, but today I sit with laptop open and I have built a little fort using the condiment holder and my water glass, with which to hide behind. I mean, if I were to put up a sign that read, DO NOT BOTHER ME OR MAKE EYE CONTACT....I couldn't be more obvious about my intentions.

And I must say, the message is being well received. It's getting near lunch time and the crowd is getting a bit heavier, but as people walk by, looking for a place to sit, they steer clear of me like I am emitting a magnetic field or something.

I'm usually not like this. I usually seek out someone to interact with, especially if I have 4 hours to kill in an airport. At the very least I would belly up to the bar and stare at the TV, making a comment here and there, to know one in particular. You can do that sitting at the bar you know. You can just blurt out phrases when ever you like, it's normal. But to do that while sitting at a table by yourself, well, you'd get some attention.

Attention isn't what I want today. After 3 weeks on the boat, I just need quiet.

4 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Hope you have made it to your destination by now. Sounds like maybe it was a bit rough the past few weeks.

Wayne said...

You need a little andouille sausage to go with your red beans and rice to make you happy.

Joey said...

Boat? What boat?

Jerral Miles said...

Maybe I won't call you the next time I've got rooms that need painting...