Ireland

Ireland

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hail to the Chief

Sadly I am nearing the end of a great book, titled “Counselor” written by JFK’s former aide and speech writer, Ted Sorensen. I hate finishing a good book. Like a good ice cream cone, I just want it to last.
His book conveys the excitement; enthusiasm and hope that were present during Kennedy’s all too brief stint in the Oval office. What a time that must have been. At that moment in history I had just recently taken the training wheels off my new 2 wheel bike when JFK moved into his new digs on Pennsylvania Ave, so I have no recollection of the years of Camelot, so I read what I can.
Sorensen’s book gave me a unique perspective of Pres Kennedy, one that can only be given by someone as close to the President as he was. His 531 pages of stories and antidotes’ were an interesting read, but I got the distinct impression that Ted feels a bit slighted concerning his place in history during the Kennedy years. So, about 412 pages of his book are dedicated to him telling us just how important he really was. From the Cuban missile crisis to the man on the moon, Ted makes it clear he was a player. The only thing he doesn’t take credit for is being on the grassy knoll that day. Ted states that he wrote this book without the assistance of a journal, “Because I was too busy during those years to keep one.” See what I mean?
And, there’s one other thing. I think anyone with only a passing interest in the Kennedy presidency would agree that Bobby Kennedy played an important role during that time, but Bobby’s name is mentioned in the book, almost as an afterthought. Ted does mention that he and Bobby were not the best of friends. Oh really? Jealous much?
I understand the book is a bit biased and because of Mr Sorensen’s obvious admiration for JFK, you come away with a feeling that Kennedy’s presidency gave everyone a warm fuzzy feeling. He was great with people, had a great sense of humor which he displayed at every press conference. He showed the same confidence and class while talking to reporters as he did while wooing heads of state.
Now take our fearless leader today, George W Bush. Talk about the other end of the spectrum. It’s no wonder we are an embarrassment in the eyes of the world. Other than breaking many international laws and lying repeatedly to the people who mistakenly elected him, there is a common thread between him and JFK. Kennedy invented Civil Rights; Bush ignores and abuses peoples civil rights, every day.
JFK said, “As not, what your country can do for you………”
George Bush said, “I was surfing the internet on “the google”
Seriously?

No comments: