Ireland

Ireland

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Belly up!

Bryn turned 21 today. So 2 of my 3 girls can now, by law, belly up to any bar anywhere and order a Mudslide. As our tug was entering the harbor of Mayaguez, PR today, I called her to wish her a happy birthday. I asked her what her plans were for tonight, you know, her first day being 21 and all. As usual she was one step ahead of me, she said, “Oh, we celebrated last night, at 12:01am.” I was so proud!
Passing yet another milestone today brought one thought to mind. “Stop this train, its moving way too fast!” I mean really, how did this happen? What am I, 100 years old? I can blink an eye and remember picking her up from pre-school. It doesn’t seem that long ago. Wasn’t it just yesterday that we were rolling big balls of snow across the front lawn, creating just the best snowman on the block? (Snow is a white flake that falls from the sky. Pennsylvania used to get a lot of this substance on their lawn in the winter, before Global Warming.)
It seems like only last week I watched her play field hockey at Avon grove. How can time drag when anticipating something, but zoom right by when trying to hold on to the past?
I feel I’m approaching another of life’s chapters quickly. This chapter is the one where, when speaking of my 3 girls, it now becomes my 3 daughters. It’s just a natural progression. For example, I used to comb my girls hair after their bath, now; I can order a beer with my daughters. I wouldn’t do that with my girls.
Years ago I took my girls to see the White House in DC. Last month I went to DC to visit my daughter. She lives there.
I used to play “little people” on the floor with my little girl, now I show my daughter how to put oil in the car.
I made all 3 of my girls doll houses. Now I hope my daughter removes hers from the storage area. It was a mansion.
During the Christmas season, I used to take my girls out to the mall and help them pick out presents for their mom. Now my daughters tell me what to buy.
Oh well, that’s life I guess. Fortunately, there seems to be an interesting component to each new chapter. Each one seems to have something different to offer. They’re all good, just different.

No comments: