Ireland

Ireland

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Many of the blogs I follow chose Silence today
as a way of showing support
to Newtown Connecticut.

I thought that was a good idea.


But I'm just not there yet.

I was gonna give the Silence thing a try 
but the NRA finally came out with a statement today.
They do Silence well.
Haven't heard from them for 4 days.
In the statement they said all the expected niceties any normal person would say.
They addressed the fact that they were conspicuously silent 
given the facts of what had just happened,
and they explained they haven't said anything because they
were busy praying and mourning.

Such a caring compassionate gang.

I think "praying and mourning"
might be NRA code for
"we're having emergency WTF meetings
to try to figure out what in the hell we are going to say to the voters."
*
Speaking of silence,
31 "pro gun" members of Congress
were invited to speak on "Meet the Press" last Sunday.
There were no takers.
When was the last time you saw any member of congress
dance away from any opportunity
to get in front of a camera?
They could ask 31 members of congress to go on Meet the Press
to discuss the benefits of subterranean crop growth 
and all 31 of them would be knocking down the doors.
*
I mentioned before, 2 of my daughters are teachers.
I asked each of them today
what kind of "intruder" drills have they come up
at their schools.

One daughter told me there was talk
of looking at what plan they had in place in case it needs to be improved.
The existing plan is drilled once a year.

The other daughter said the subject of the shootings in her school
hasn't even come up.
Like it never happened.

I think I have some letters to write.

3 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

I think every school needs bullet proof glass and locked doors once school starts and drills because this will happen again it just will. I'd gladly pay more taxes to see schools safer.

Donna said...

Mark - this is a hard topic to walk away from.
I understand the pull - and the sense of urgency.
It seems somehow to encapsulate so much about what kind of country we ARE and what kind of future we WANT for our kids and grandkids.
It's terrifying to me that SO many people have been hoodwinked into believing MORE guns with MORE fools armed to the hilt is the answer.
If guns alone made us safe, this would be the safest country in the world instead of one of the deadliest.
I keep reminding myself that decades ago, no one thought we could change the 'smoking culture' or take on big tobacco... and we did.
Second hand danger and death is more dangerous than second hand smoke... we HAVE to keep on keeping on!
I applaud your passion and your efforts!

Karen thisoldhouse2.com said...

you gotta be kidding me, didn't even come up?

My son's school is locked, and there are now rotating teachers standing guard at the entrances to the school. I don't know how long that can continue, but atleast they are acknowledging the issue and working on a permanent plan.