Ireland

Ireland

Monday, July 22, 2013

A PETA update.

A few posts ago, I mentioned that my wife contacted our local animal rescue, asking them about the news stories that PETA, the previously thought of guardian angels of the animal kingdom, have in fact been running kill shelters for many years.

And I mentioned the response she got was arrogant, egotistical, insulting and condescending to say the least. Of course, I wanted to jump in there and continue the conversation with the previously mentioned know-it-all, but was put in lockdown by my wife.

So, I thought I would abide by her wishes and let it go. Instead I contacted 3 other animal rescue organizations in 3 different parts of the country and asked them the same question that started this firestorm.
"Is it true that PETA has run kill shelters and kills most of the animals that they receive?"

I contacted them over a week ago.
I have not received one response from any of the organizations.

Their silence is interesting I think.
At least the guy who responded to my wife with a lecture, had the stones to reply. These other outfits?
Why is anyone in that industry afraid to say anything negative about PETA?

I contacted PETA. Now I was really up for a fight. They responded within a day, with a very nice, but eye opening letter saying basically, there are just to many stray animals in the world, so yeah, we have to put some down.
The figures I read in the news compared to what they claimed were a little off, but I give them props for responding.

Actually, if we looked at their website first, before asking the opinion of others, we would have had the answer right there. Basically they blame everyone but themselves. And yep, they euthanize millions, but they brag that they do it the right way

Well, they got that going for them.


2 comments:

ain't for city gals said...

I think they don't say anything because they are doing the same thing. This has become such a big "non profit" business. I would say at least 80% raising tons of money and it doesn't go to the animals...it goes to pay big salaries. And somehow they include "Animal Humane Society" in their name to make you think they are part of that organization....which is another whole matter.

Wayne said...

So, in their minds, they are good because they 'ethically' treat animals. The problem here is they are defining 'ethical'.