Ireland

Ireland

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Do you have good Soles

One of the things on my honey do list was to take this box and 2 bags of used sneakers to a store called Philadelphia Runners. 
As I drove these running shoes to their new home, I kept thinking to myself,
"Damn, my kids bought a lot of sneakers over the years."


 All three of my kids ran track, my oldest Erin having the longest career as she ran through her college years, and it was she I was thinking was responsible for this crazy amount of sneakers. I thought to myself, "no wonder I can't retire yet."


 But I was wrong. This box of sneakers ended up in the back of my car because of the efforts of my middle daughter Bryn, ( teaches at a boys high school and coached their distanced runners at the time) who had her students run a sneaker drive of sorts, where they donated old but still wearable sneakers to be given to people in need.  To bring this story full circle, Bryn may have gotten this idea from Erin who is working on a documentary about the sport of track being a way out for under privileged kids. At the next family dinner I'll let them hash out who was more responsible for this generous act.

When I put this box in my car I noticed a pair of Nike running shoes on the top. I wondered, who wore these? What event did he participate in? When he laced these babies up was he nervous about the upcoming event? I wondered, did he win?

It's quite possible the next person who laces up these worn but usable sneakers will be nervous too. But his concern may not be the outcome of a race but rather, will he/she be getting enough food at his/her next meal.
You see, through the efforts of establishments like "Philadelphia Runners" these shoes are being given to a non-profit organization called Soles 4 Souls.
This Nashville Tenn. based organization takes donations big and small and distributes them world wide to people in need. They'll take donations like a box of used sneakers from me, as well as donations from retailers who have over stocked items they need to get rid of. Instead of them ending up in a landfill where it will take years for the material to break down, they will end up on the feet of those less fortunate.

I urge you to take a look at them. They do much more than I am able to explain on this blog.
They do really good work.

**
I took my camera with me when I went to drop off those shoes. I took a few shots, a peak into my area, for no apparent reason.

This building below is within walking distance of my house.  Built in the 1800's, it was a hotel at one time. Why would their be a hotel at the intersection of this sleepy New London town, I have no idea.
It now houses a awesome home made candy store....within walking distance......not good.


 The building below was a schoolhouse back in the day, where two signers of the Declaration of Independence were taught.


 Across from the schoolhouse is a baseball field where I learned, about 15 years ago, my athletic career was over. My brother called me one day and said he and a bunch of people were playing baseball and needed one more player. Sure, I'll play.


 It was near this fence in center field where I embarrassed myself that day.
Sweet memories.
I retired my glove, and my arm.


 A rail road track in West Grove, which is the next town over from where I live. I haven't seen a train go by there in 20 years.





Here's hoping everyone is having a good week. And don't forget Soles 4 Souls.

7 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Such a great cause. I never ran track or was very athletic but my family has there share of sneakers we usually donate to goodwill....but I like the idea of this Soles4Soles. Gorgeous little sleepy town you live in and near. Happy Thursday!

Joey said...

Great window into your town!

Susie said...

Mark, I loved all the photos. You better get you a pair of those running shoe and run past the candy place.:):) I love that your daughter is helping others. You have raised a caring person.:):) Blessings to you and yours, xoxo,Susie

Marilyn Miller said...

Nice tour of your community.
Thanks for the heads up on Soles4Soles. I know here Nike collects old worn out shoes, grinds them up, and make running track surfaces.

NanaDiana said...

That sounds like a wonderful program, Mark. I never heard of it before.
We only had one runner in our family. His record has stood at the school he went to for about 20 years. He was a cross country runner. That was one of the highlights of his young life.
Hope you have a great weekend- Diana

Busy Bee Suz said...

I love programs like this Soles for Souls. I never throw anything away…with a little bit of research, just about everything can be used by/for someone else.
Love the photos of your town. Just beautiful!!

Jerral Miles said...

People like you, Mark... and your family, who make the world a good place. You're definitely making some people happy and more secure with the shoes and other very good, if slightly used, clothes. Wonderful. One of my very favorite people in the world is a former student who works for/with Tom's Shoes in international marketing and distribution... one for one program. I've learned from him how life-changing a gift of shoes can be... and not just in Africa.