Ireland

Ireland

Saturday, June 14, 2014

World Cup vs Bocce

The FIFA World Cup is in full swing and I couldn't be happier. I'm a huge fan of the World Cup. I don't know the rules of soccer, or um, futbol, but I love watching it. It is the most popular sport in the world. Just because I was born and raised in the good old USA where there is basically no following for this almost scoreless game, I like to think outside of the box, so color me a World Cup fanatic.
There is something to be said for a game that can last a few hours and only a point or two is scored. No wonder the fans of futbol are so rabid. If their team scores a goal, they can almost guarantee a win, no matter how many hours are left in the game. 

Granted the Games taking place in sunny Brazil don't hold a stick to the tension produced by our annual Family game of bocce. Seriously, can you see the concentration on my wife as she tosses a blue bocce? Do you see the tension that is obvious in the face of my brother and I? Like futbol, bocce is some serious business. There was a lot riding on this somewhat docile game. (No there wasn't.)
Unlike fĂștbol, in bocce the scoring is out of control.


***

Did you see where former President Bush senior celebrated his 90th birthday recently by jumping out of a perfectly good plane, in tandem, with another parachutist? I'm sorry, but that was a bit awkward. To watch, as well as the landing. The Pres is not in the best of health these days and if anyone wants to hear my opinion, his jumping days should be behind him.

2 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Happy Father's day to you! Bocce is serious business with you Italians! Here in WNY it's also as serious as the World Cup. At my husband work they have a league and practice at lunch....our neighbor has at least three tournaments a summer at his house and the competition is fierce! Have a great day!

Joey said...

Bocce! It's in my history! My grandparents - fresh off the boat from Italy - built a bocce court in their side yard when they finally bought their own home in Hartford CT. I was brought up on the sport but don't play it. Don't ask. But I am fond of hearing the word bocce as it conjures up memories of long ago. LONGGGGG ago. :)