Ireland

Ireland

Monday, February 23, 2009

A Special Box







This old shoe box was my dad's. When my siblings and I cleaned out our parents house after my mom passed away, for some reason I took this old shoe box.

Since I brought it home it's been in our garage, in my office and then it was finally moved to our storage room.

As we were cleaning out our storage room the other day, I picked this old box up and said, we can get rid of this. My wife, reminded me where I got it, reinforced to me that it was a sentimental item, but I convinced her it was just taking up room and we should get rid of it.

So for the past 2 days it sat in our "Goodwill pile", basically a staging area in our garage where we pile stuff to take to "Goodwill".

Tonight I went into the garage to take the trash out. I looked over and saw this old shoe box. I picked it up and looked at it. Images of my dad using it when I was a little kid flooding my consciousness. Every Saturday night he would shine all our shoes, in preparation for Church the next day. When I got old enough, about 8 years old I'd guess, the job of shinning shoes became mine.

I was standing in the garage looking at that beat up old box tonight and I remembered how dad taught me to put a "spit shine" on our shoes. It's kinda nasty when you think about it, but it worked really well. Our shoes were like mirrors.

This shoe box is back in my office.

I have no idea why!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The show box is exactly where it needs to be :-)

Megan said...

I love Nostalgia, especially when I comes in a shoe box.

Your dad is probably smiling that you finally found the meaning of the box. I know I am!

Great Post.