Ireland

Ireland

Friday, March 13, 2009

Late for the show


Darn, I just missed the sunset tonight. I just ran out on deck with my camera, and when I saw I missed it by a few minutes, I said out loud, “darn”. (Yeah right, that’s what I said.) My buddy who was outside busy cutting bait for a relaxing night of fishing, noticed my frustration, and asked me what the problem was.
I pointed to the horizon and totally exasperated said, “I missed the sunset”. He looked at me like I had 2 heads. I know he was thinking to himself, “chill out, there will be another one tomorrow”. What he did say was, “what’s with you and sunsets”?
It got me thinking, what is it with me and sunsets? Every chance I get I take a picture of a sunset or a sunrise, I don’t have a favorite. Either one can be spectacular. I have a million pictures of them, literally, I counted.
I guess it’s odd that I still find enjoyment in these natural masterpieces. After 35 years of working on the water, seeing sunsets of all shapes and sizes, I found myself tonight looking at the clock in my room, quickly pushing myself away from my desk, grabbing my camera and bolting out the door. You should see me when someone mentions whale or dolphin. I’m like a little kid elbowing my way to the front at Sea World. My fellow crew members now know about me and my interest. If anything at all happens on the boat that can possibly be considered interesting or photo worthy, you can hear them yell inside the boat, MARK, PHOTO OP!! And then they just get out of the way.
I’ll try to be on time for tomorrow’s sunset show.

No comments: