Ireland

Ireland

Friday, March 13, 2009

I need a new library!

I was looking over my list of books in “My Library” and came to one conclusion. I need to lighten up! Other than “The Greatest Generation” and “The Lobster Chronicles”, my reading choices are a bit on the dark side. No wonder I have trouble sleeping.
Reading “Frost/Nixon” just reminded me about all the dirty tricks that take place in every administration. Even though I am an Obama fan, I’m sure he’ll end up with secrets he doesn’t want to get out. This “transparency” policy he’s adopting could be dangerous if he’s anything like his predecessors. Not a good book to read if you’re already down in the dumps because of the crisis we find ourselves in now.
“The Myth of Homeland Security”, is just that, a myth. Being a merchant seaman this government entity has affected me in a big way. Again, not a book you want to read to lift your spirits. But you can all be comforted knowing that thanks to our Homeland Security department, I am fully trained to deal with bomb threats on our vessel. We have a sheet of paper with questions we are to ask the bomber when he calls us on the phone. The first question, “What is your name?” The 2nd question, “Where did you plant the device?” So, sleep well. I am not kidding.
“The War Within”, about the Bush administration and it’s craziness concerning the war in Iraq has just pulled me deeper into despair.
After reading books on the history of the IRA and the Irish Revolution of 1919, I thought I’d better switch things up, so now I’m reading “Killing Pablo.” It’s a light story about the ruthlessness of Pablo Escobar and his drug cartel. Do you see a pattern here?
I need a change. When I get home I’m reading “The Cat in the Hat.”

No comments: